On 15.11.2013 17:24, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
I haven't done so yet, but I've considered once or twice creating a 'clean' target in case the generator is ninja. Possibly someone has already done that. Maybe only disallow target names that the generator actually uses? (Or should we teach CMake to make a 'clean' target for ninja? :-) That could probably be done separately, but if 'clean' is disallowed unconditionally it feels like that should be "on the radar" of things to do.)

I would prefer to forbid them regardless of generator.
This would prevent someone using a target that happens to be free for his generator but inadvertently breaking something for someone else working on the same project with a different generator.

Defining a custom "clean" target would also break if the Ninja generator did start defining a custom clean target ... which obviously can happen for any target name not currently used but is more likely with the currently "reserved" names.

Projects that already use these names should still work if I make this dependant on the existing policy.

Nils