On 03/05/2014 07:47 PM, Daniele E. Domenichelli wrote:
> I noticed that the CMAKE_FRAMEWORK_PATH and CMAKE_APPBUNDLE_PATH don't
> have documentation

Just leave them as inline-literals for now if there is no doc to link.
They can be added later.

> Am I supposed to add documentation for the variable
> PKG_CONFIG_USE_CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, that is checked by this patch?

It looks like you've updated the docs further to use the "variable"
directive.  Good.  Do you mind flipping the order of the patches
to revise the documentation formatting first and then make the
functional change?  That will make it easier to see the actual
change.

>> Also it looks like some logic is taken from GNUInstallDirs.  Is there
>> enough in common to try to factor that out into a helper module?
>
> I just noticed that there is already a global property
> FIND_LIBRARY_USE_LIB64_PATHS. Perhaps there should be one similar for
> debian and derivatives (CMAKE_LIBRARY_USE_LIB_ARCHITECTURE_PATHS?)
> Both GNUInstallDirs and FindPkgConfig could then benefit from them...

Perhaps.  The global property was from a brief design era when we
thought about moving all platform information from variables to
properties.  It never happened but FIND_LIBRARY_USE_LIB64_PATHS
ended up that way.  The new one you propose could be a plain
variable.  The logic

  if(CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME MATCHES "^(Linux|kFreeBSD|GNU)$"
      AND NOT CMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING)
    if (EXISTS "/etc/debian_version") # is this a debian system ?

could then be factored over into the platform info modules.

> Also at the moment on platforms that use lib64 the patch check both lib
> and lib64, perhaps it should check lib64 only? But locally installed
> libraries usually just install in <prefix>/lib, not lib64... But perhaps
> lib64 be searched first... What do you think?

The find_library and find_package commands implement
FIND_LIBRARY_USE_LIB64_PATHS by searching lib64 and then lib.
This should honor FIND_LIBRARY_USE_LIB64_PATHS too.  Look at
the find_package implementation:

http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Source/cmFindPackageCommand.cxx;hb=v3.0.0-rc1#l2077

for how it does lib/<arch>, then lib64, then lib.