I'm away from keyboard until June 8th. everything written is from the top
of my head.

AFAIR the warning goes away if you properly set the OSX SYSROOT. Setting it
to macosx without version number should be sufficient (maybe you have to
insert a xcrun --showsdk-path there).

As far as I see the warning originates from times where Xcode bundled two
SDKs and CMake was not sure which one to pick if there was no direct match
between of the deployment target version.

I would keep the warning but document the mechanics between SYSROOT and
Deployment Target. The warning then could refer to the docs.

In the long term CMake should provide a tool chain file for OSX and iOS.

Thanks,
Gregor