On Friday 26 May 2006 17:55, you wrote:
> >A 'configure' script generator that will just convert between the
> > (good old) configure and the cmake foo.  Makes it actually possible
> > to discover what features there are without consulting online
> > documentation ;)
>
> I am not sure about what you want here.
> Do you want something that will convert a configure script into cmake
> files? Do you want to convert cmake files into a configure script?
>  What is the goal with this question?

I have helped a set of people on irc to get started with koffice compiling
using cmake. They all had a lot of problems with the arcane variables
like the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and most people find that D in front a bit
weird a well.

So; instead of letting the user (not only a developer!!) type
 cmake ../../project -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
there would be a command line tool (which I want to call configure, I
don't care if its shell script or perl or whatever) and that tool would
parse:
        ./configure --prefix=foo
and execute the cmake equivalent that I typed above.

Again; this is all focussed on making cmake more usable for the KDE
community; but I guess a lot of cmake users will benefit from it as well.
You have to remember that there are a lot of end users downloading the
sources and I can't in all honesty tell them its something better if they
have to type the above cmake PREFIX thing instead of using the configure
thing we had before.

Hope that explains it better :)
--
Thomas Zander