On 2006-09-06 14:26, Brandon J. Van Every said:

>> However, the whole idea of TRY_COMPILE is of course incompatible with
>> this, since the minute you assume that the machine doing the building is
>> the same type as the machine you are building for, you are in trouble...
>
>Actually it's not invalid to compile it.  That's what a cross-compiler
>does.  It's invalid to run it.  CMake already has this distinction
>between TRY_COMPILE and TRY_RUN, so if TRY_RUN is used inappropriately,
>that's user error.  If CMake knows it's in some kind of
>cross-compilation mode, it can disallow TRY_RUN and deliver an error.

Ah, I see.  I admittedly know little about CMake, just enough to let me
build vtk really. :)

So for the cross compilation case, or even the more limited case of
Universal Binaries on OS X, does a TRY_COMPILE execute once for each
architecture?  Seems it would need to.  Or is that something currently
lacking?

Thanks,