On 9/26/06, Christian Ehrlicher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I still don't understand why msys is needed anyway.

Maybe offtopic, but perhaps it helps to understand the way in which I
intend to use cmake. The application I'm working on has a number of
dependencies (libiconv, gettext, libxml2, freetype2, libpng, zlib,
SDL, SDL_Mixer, Ogg Vorbis, Python, SWIG) and has so far been
developed on Linux and OS X, using traditional autoconf/automake build
system. In an effort to enable development on Windows using freely
available development tools. I first compiled all those above using
cygwin/mingw, but I didn't really like how my compiled, "native"
Windows versions were all mixed up with stuff that came with cygwin
and depended on an additional posix layer. MSYS/mingw solved this
problem. At that time, a fellow developer suggested to use cmake as
our new build-system, since it was supposedly easier and faster as the
aforementioned autotools.

So here I am, with all my dependencies setup, and cmake build scripts
that work on Linux and only need a few tweaks to link the application
on OS X ...

Maybe my fault is that I expect something to behave like UNIX when it
is in fact Windows. Although it seems debatable into which of these
categories MSYS falls, as previous threads on this list have shown.

Anyway, due to all those dependencies I'm using MSYS, as that will
give me a development environment similar to what I have on other
platforms. Which I thought would make building easier ...

We're compiling kdelibs / kdepimplibs & kdebase with cmake on a native cmd.exe
environment with msvc and mingw and never had a need to use the msys shell.
I personally avoid this msys and write a small cmake script to get around the
use of ./configure.

Impressive :-). But it seems there might be another option for me,
which involves a cmake macro wrapped around pkg-config to obtain
include paths and linker arguments. That way, cmake only needs to find
pkg-config.exe, which is in my $PATH, so no worries there. And
whatever pkg-config returns should be good enough to go into the
generated Makefiles, as long as make is running in MSYS afterwards.
Which is exactly what I hope to achieve ...

Kai