Dizzy wrote:
> I think you got it wrong. INSTALL() should be used ONLY for installing
> binaries and such (scripts, config files, etc) and not sources. "make

Yes, apparently I get it wrong, and the documentation on
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Documentation.html is unclear here:

INSTALL_FILES:
"Create rules to install the listed files with the given extension into
the given directory."

(BTW, the follwoing point is also unclear to me: "If a file specified
***already has an extension***, that extension will be removed first."
Already has an extension?)

It is not clear for what kind of files this command should be used. This
point needs clarification in the documentation, and I am willing to add
something on the wiki as soon as I get it.

> package_source" ignores the INSTALL() commands and actually tries to pack
> everything in the cmake source directory AFAIK (which is yet another reason
> you should do out of source builds anyways).

I already do out-of-source builds. Nevertheless, it is unclear what a
"make package_source" really does. I find no documentation about this
target. I want to give my customer the package source in a specific
directory structure and I want to make it sure that he gets everything
he needs.

> make package_source just packs the project source dir I think so be careful
> what you have there...

So make package_source really packs everything? I cannot exclude files
that are irrelevant to the customer (e.g, design documents)?

I still do not understand the difference between INSTALL_FILES,
INSTALL_PROGRAMS, and INSTALL_TARGETS.

Kind regards,
Joachim