Joachim Ziegler wrote:

Yes, I've seen that and read the documentation of the new INSTALL
comand. It is still unlear to me in what case I should use what command.
(What is the conecuptual difference between a FILE and a TARGET? May a
TARGET consist of more than one files?)

A file is a file, and you have to specify the relative or full path to that file. A target is something that is being built by cmake, and cmake will know what it is where to find it, and how to install
it.
And I still do not undestand the effect of these commands concerning a
"make package_source". Do they have any? If not, how can I fine-tune
what gets packaged into a package_source?
Right now, everything in your source tree gets packaged in package_source. You can exclude files with regular expressions. The cpack source packages do not use the install commands
at all.  They just package up all the files in your source tree.

-Bill