Answering my own question, after a bit of research, it appears that
cmake doesn't natively deal with cross-platform building for Visual
Studio Projects.  Instead it tests to see whether to generate Win32 or
x64 project file configurations.

In the environment we've got, we want to build Win32, Xbox 360 and
Playstation 3 binaries, all from a Win32 box.  I wonder what the best
way to tweak cmake to do this is.  My first thoughts are to do away with
Visual Studio altogether, as its vcproj files are pretty hard coded into
cmake.  Instead I'm playing with using a traditional make, but I still
need vcproj "external make" files, as the developers are using visual
studio.

I've ordered the book - perhaps I'll get some hints from there.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who is already doing this kind
of thing.
Joe
Well, you can generate one vcproj per platform. Yes it can end with a lot of project files but if it's well organized with a good folder tree, it is alright. Here we build on PS3, XBOX360,WII, WIN32, WINCE, MACOSX, each platform has its own vcproj and sln and other type of projects we need. We also differenciate between WIN32 static and WIN32 dynamic for instance because we have decided to have only one target per CMakeLists.txt at a time, this way it's easier to understand what is built in Visual Studio projects.

--Sylvain