This has to be this way, or the cmake generated projects will not be able to find libraries in other projects of the same build type. Can someone explain the issue with this? We are using this for VTK and several other larger projects, and
it works fine.

-Bill
Ok I understand but library files are not necessary in "$(CONFIGURATION)" folder, they can be in "$(CONFIGURATION)/subfolder" for instance.

I think it should not be hardcoded because the paths where the libraries are can be anything.

It should be handled like this I guess:

LINK_DIRECTORIES( my_path_debug, my_path_release, ....)
LINK_LIBRARIES(DEBUG my_lib_debug OPTIMIZE my_lib_release)

The librairies should have different names but this is often the case.

--Sylvain