Mike Jackson wrote:

What I would _really_ like to see is a system like "Textmate" or "BBEdit" where cmake is just a drag-and-drop install and the first time CMake GUI is launched symlinks to cmake, ccmake, ctest are put into /usr/local/bin (or somewhere else the use selects). This makes the installation and use of CMake much easier and approachable. With a little bit of effort CMake can become a first class OS X application which helps it gain mind share in the OS X market. I am _willing_ to help with that effort. What do you need.

What if the GUI is never launched? I really think we need a full installer for CMake. It is not a self contained GUI application. I think we need a managed install:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution/Managed_Installs/chapter_5_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000145i-CH6-SW8

Just because it uses a managed install process does not mean it is not a first class OS X application. Xcode uses the same installer we use for CMake, as do many other projects. Simple self contained GUI apps can be dragged and dropped for install, but when you have a mix of GUI and command line tools and PATH issues, I think you have to use a more sophisticated installer. We are using the Apple provided installer, so it must sort of be an OS X application...

Both BBEdit and Textmate are strictly GUI apps as far as I can tell.

-Bill