Hi people,

I'm trying to understand a user report which says that load_cache ignores CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER (and I need it to load it!!)

While playing around with this unfortunate fact, it became apparent that this particular variable is not read from the cache at all (not even from the current cache).

I can tell because I can read in the current CMakeCache.txt that in fact it contains the value which should have been loaded from the saved cache, yet a MESSAGE commands reveals that this cached value is not the same as the in-memory value of the variable.

Is that so?? is this a memory-only variable whose cache value is never read in (thus can end up being completely incoherent, as in my case) ?

I know a user can set the enviroment variable CXX in order to specify the compiler, but, are there other magical variables like this I should know about, that is, which not being internal nor static nor excluded are nevertheless not read in via load_cache?

And a related question: can a user pass a sort of "uninitialized" value via the -D command line switch? I am using cmake in an automated context where the call cmake is done by a script.
If I use someting like this:

  cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=${USER_CXX_COMPILER}

it won't work when the intention is NOT to specify that (the usual case), unless a value of NOTFOUND or "" is interpreted as such.

TIA

Fernando Cacciola