Hi Miguel,

Thanks Werner. However, I'm not sure what the correct solution is... I
googled a bit and can't find any documentation indicating that
_UNICODE needs to be defined.

From the following link:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_unicode.html

it seems that using the correct macros (i.e., wxT(), etc.) should
suffice. There is some information below that suggests that maybe
wxUSE_UNICODE is the macro to define, but even there it is not clear
if this should be done in user code or build configuration.

If somebody can point me to the appropriate documentation or samples
in the wiki, I'll appreciate it.

It's actually defined in wx/platform.h

http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/trunk/include/wx/platform.h?view=markup

if _UNICODE is set, wxUSE_UNICODE will be set. Problem here is and although I use wxWidgets now for 8 years, I still don't know how this setup.h procedure should work correctly. Actually the "mistake" of John was, that he compiled wxWidgets with UNICODE=1 setting on the mingw32-make command line. But then after that you are supposed to make the settings in setup.h on your own (change wxUSE_UNICODE to 1). This is because there is no configure which does that for you. Obviously this _UNICODE workaround is also used, look e.g. here

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/9429

So it's either that we believe the user should handle that on him/her own, or the wxWidgets module just defines the _UNICODE macro which shouldn't do any harm. Maybe we should ask the wxWidgets list.

Regards,
Werner

--Miguel

--
Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499