On Nov 22, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

Bill Hoffman wrote:

Robert Dailey wrote:
Hi,

I've done some googling on how to set warning levels for visual studio
projects generated with CMake and I can't say I really enjoy the
proposed solutions I've found. Literally this should be a single
function call like:

cmake_warning_level( 4 )

I expected something simple like above, but instead I found solutions
that involved over 10 lines of code and very complex logic. This is
really starting to discourage me from using CMake. I won't jump the gun, though, and I'll assume that I just haven't found that magically simple
solution yet. Help is greatly appreciated!

CMake does not yet have a feature to flag type of mapping layer like
that.  It is on the road map for the future.  It could be and is done
with macros or functions in projects currently.  I am pretty sure the
boost CMake files have macros that do this.  Anyone have a macro for
this to post?

Boost.Build allows you to write:

       bjam warnings=all

and this will lead to /W4 on msvc (and to suitable options on other compilers)

I don't think boost's CMake setup has this specific option, and generally,
lacks most of advanced Boost.Build mechanisms necessary to portably
specify build properties.

- Volodya

Vladimar,
Could you please enumerate the advanced options that are missing from boost's cmake setup so that I can start working on implementing those options. (Cross Posting to Boost-CMake as that may become the more appropriate place for this )

What are the equivalents in gcc to /w4, /w3, /w2, /w1? What are the equivalents on icc, or any other compiler? What does bjam do?

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Warning-Options.html

That list is pretty long...

It is easy enough to add some macros to the boost cmake files.

macro(set_warning_level warning_level)

if (MSVC)

elseif (GCC)

endif()