Since you can only choose the following compilers in Xcode (at least in the version i have seen)

GCC 3.3 (GCC_VERSION = 3.3)
GCC 4.0 (GCC_VERSION = 4.0)
GCC 4.2 (GCC_VERSION = 4.2)
LLVM GCC 4.2 (GCC_VERSION = com.apple.compilers.llvmgcc42)

it seems reasonable (to me) to give also only this possibilities in CMake! Note that XCode offers those option even if some of those compilers are not installed. I think Xcode will not work with any compiler that was not installed with Xcode, at least I can not find any option inside of Xcode.

Stephan