On Apr 2, 2009, at 11:04 PM, Philip Lowman wrote:

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdai...@gmail.com> wrote: If there was some way for CMake to utilize "solution folders" in Visual Studio, we could easily organize unit tests into a hierarchy. This way the solution explorer would not be cluttered and we'd still be able to have 1 project per unit test.

Never heard of unit tests that fail to compile before as a condition for success... I'm curious what kinds of things these could be used for?

Is there support for grouping projects in folders in Visual Studio? If not it could be added to VS. If it is supported in VS you could send in a patch to make it work with CMake or at the very list request a feature.

Regarding the compile time tests, you could keep them separate but not enable them by default in your daily builds, just your nightly regression tests.

You could also make them "zzz_test_foo" compile time tests so they show up at the bottom of the list of projects where you'll never see them. The PROJECT_LABEL target property should help with this.

--
Philip Lowman

Boost does that sort of thing, having a failed compile actually mean the test _passes_. I believe boost has a python script that drives the test. I think there was some traffic on the list last month about something in CTest where you could do a "compile-and-test" test.

   Hope that helps

Mike Jackson