Werner Smekal wrote:
Hi.
As I said, on Linux when I do "make test", my_test gets run fine--I
think because rpath is properly recording the location of the shared
libraries.   On windows (Visual Studio 2005), my_test will not run.
When I execute ctest by hand, I am told that it cannot locate
'util.dll' (as well as icuuc.dll, etc.)
You must now add this directory (${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/dll) to
the PATH environment variable, the easiest way, since you use VS 2005)
is to go to Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment
Variables and change the PATH variable there. You must at least quit
Visual C++ and restart to recognize the new PATH variable and
sometimes even this doesn't suffice - you must restart the system.
Then the dlls will be found since they are located in a path listed in
the PATH variable.

Thanks for the quick response, Werner.

Setting the PATH externally is a little bit of a pain as we will ultimately end up with quite a few directories with DLL's in them as our project moves forward and it will be a hassle for each engineer to manage their PATH to ensure things work correct. Also, I have managed to construct our build system such that there virtually no external dependencies upon the developer.

So, I guess I have two choices:

1. I can copy the tests into a staging environment so that they are sitting along side the DLL's prior to running them. 2. I saw that there is an upcoming feature in the CVS tree in which environment variables can be set for tests. If this is the case, then I could see if setting the PATH for the test case can work.

Has anyone tried #2?

There is actually a possibility to tell Visual C++ directly where the
DLL is located (by changing the PATH variable for one configuration
inside VS), but I don't remember right now how and I'm just on the
wrong OS right now to have a look.

Obviously I want to avoid having the developer manually editing the project that cmake has produced, so if such a feature exists, I'd like to track down how to make cmake spit it out for me.

Once again, thanks for the quick response!
-scott

--
Scott C. Gray
Chief Technologist