On another mailing list that I subscribe to someone mentioned that ccmake was not very reliable. Is this true?

A related question: If I set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in my CMakeLists.txt file
set( CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX
  ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
  )
and then run ccmake, I find that the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX variable is set to /usr/local rather than the binary directory. Is this a bug? I ran ccmake on a clean build directory, i.e. I had no cache. Incidentally, this also occurs with the CMake gui. If I dump the variable from my CMakeLists.txt file, e.g.
message( STATUS "Files will be installed to: " $ {CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} )

then it reflects the correct directory, but the CMakeCache.txt file still shows /usr/local. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

James