On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM, <aaron.mead...@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

>  *Done.  Issue number 11279. [
> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11279]*
>
> * *
>
> *I also noted that the script could be improved by calling the compiler
> with the ‘/?’ switch and parsing it’s output instead of parsing the output
> from try_compile’ing a simple c file it writes.  That would make it quite a
> bit faster.*

Aaron,

Thanks for the patch. I've pushed it to git next.
Regarding your idea to use the output of "cl /?" to determine the version
number, I think it is a good one. If you have time to rewrite the module to
do this instead and test it I would merge the changes for a future version
of CMake.

Some potential issues.
1. "cl /?" appears to pause waiting for input, this would have to be
mitigated somehow in a safe way or perhaps just "cl" could be executed as
that appears to include the output.
2. "cl" or "cl /?" output would have to be verified on VS8 to ensure it
outputs there as well (it appears to be there in VS9/Express)
3. You couldn't just run "cl", you would have to find out the CMake variable
for the compiler and run that.

My time is really limited. If you're interested, please create a new ticket
and submit a patch. It would save probably at least a second off of an
initial configure.

--
Philip Lowman