On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 18:28 -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2010-11-09 02:52+0100 Michael Hertling wrote:
>
> > On 11/08/2010 10:03 PM, Jochen Issing wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I tried to add ctest to my project and did this by adding
ENABLE_TESTING() and several ADD_TEST(...) to my CMakeLists.txt file.
> >> The tests are run on executables, which are built inside a
dedicated test directory in my project root and the execs show up in my
Makefile.
> >> After reading through some docs, I am told to call make test after
building. However, no target named 'test' is available.

> > I.e. it doesn't show up in the listing of "make help"?
> >
> >> Here my question: Does my directory 'test' interfere with the
'test' rule or do I have to install the executables before testing or do
I still miss something?

> > On *nix, I can see the following CMakeLists.txt work:
> >
> > CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.8 FATAL_ERROR)
> > PROJECT(TEST C)
> > ENABLE_TESTING()
> > FILE(MAKE_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/test
${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/test)
> > FILE(WRITE ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/main.c "int main(void){return 0;}\n")
> > ADD_EXECUTABLE(main main.c)
> > SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(
> >    main
> >    PROPERTIES
> >    RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/test
> > )
> > ADD_TEST(NAME main COMMAND main)
> >
> > The output of "make test" - without installation - is:
> >
> > Running tests...
> > Test project /home/hertling/work/cmake/issing/obj
> >    Start 1: main
> > 1/1 Test #1: main .............................   Passed    0.00 sec
> >
> > 100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1
> >
> > Total Test time (real) =   0.11 sec
> >
> > So, I'd conclude the "test" directories' presence doesn't matter,
> > nor does the fact if an installation has already been performed.
>
> In the past this mattered a lot so the PLplot project had to rename
> our test source tree directory to plplot_test to avoid the clash with
> the name of the test target.
>
> It is possible your example above is not complicated
> enough to trigger the clash.  For example, your test
> subdirectories are just created, but you do not have an
> add_subdirectory(test) command to actually run cmake within that
> test subdirectory.
>
> So I would suggest to the OP that they do rename their test directory
> to something else because I am pretty sure that will solve the issue.
> Until PLplot did that (for a much earlier version of CMake) "make
> test" failed to work for us.
>
> Alan
>

> > Maybe, you could post your CMakeLists.txt for further inspection.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Michael
> >
> >> Anyhow, 'ctest -D Experimental' seems to do something :/
> >>
> >> Also, I am not sure if I need to setup a Dashboard-Server to use
testing at all. I suppose it's possible without a dashboard, but don't
know how.
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> - jochen
> >> gpg: 1024D/013400C7
> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> __________________________
> Alan W. Irwin
>
> Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and
Astronomy,

> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
implementation
> for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
software
> package (plplot.org); the libLASi project (unifont.org/lasi); the
Loads of
> Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
> (lbproject.sf.net).
>
> Linux-powered Science

Hi Alan and others,

We have lots of directories named 'test' that contain test programs. I
add them with add_subdirectory() and never ran into problems of target
'test' not existing. My assumption is that there's something else going
wrong here.

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.