Hi All,

sorry for taking so much time for this wimpy problem. I think I found the issue
and it's simple as always.
See some small comments inline

On 09.11.2010, at 03:28, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2010-11-09 02:52+0100 Michael Hertling wrote:
>
>> On 11/08/2010 10:03 PM, Jochen Issing wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I tried to add ctest to my project and did this by adding ENABLE_TESTING()
>>> and several ADD_TEST(...) to my CMakeLists.txt file.
>>> The tests are run on executables, which are built inside a dedicated test
>>> directory in my project root and the execs show up in my Makefile.
>>> After reading through some docs, I am told to call make test after
>>> building. However, no target named 'test' is available.
>>
>> I.e. it doesn't show up in the listing of "make help"?
Yes, it did not show up, but run without a warning, because a directory (and
thus product) test existed :/

>>> Here my question: Does my directory 'test' interfere with the 'test' rule
>>> or do I have to install the executables before testing or do I still miss
>>> something?
>>
>> On *nix, I can see the following CMakeLists.txt work:
>>
>> CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 2.8 FATAL_ERROR)
>> PROJECT(TEST C)
>> ENABLE_TESTING()
>> FILE(MAKE_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/test ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/test)
>> FILE(WRITE ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/main.c "int main(void){return 0;}\n")
>> ADD_EXECUTABLE(main main.c)
>> SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES(
>>   main
>>   PROPERTIES
>>   RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/test
>> )
>> ADD_TEST(NAME main COMMAND main)
I tried this with success :) Thanks for the interesting build script!

>> The output of "make test" - without installation - is:
>>
>> Running tests...
>> Test project /home/hertling/work/cmake/issing/obj
>>   Start 1: main
>> 1/1 Test #1: main .............................   Passed    0.00 sec
>>
>> 100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1
>>
>> Total Test time (real) =   0.11 sec
>>
>> So, I'd conclude the "test" directories' presence doesn't matter,
>> nor does the fact if an installation has already been performed.
>
> In the past this mattered a lot so the PLplot project had to rename
> our test source tree directory to plplot_test to avoid the clash with
> the name of the test target.
Not for me - renaming didn't solve it

Instead I moved ENABLE_TESTING() from test/CMakeListst.txt to my root
CMakeLists.txt
I think this is not stated in the documentation.

Thanks everybody!

jochen