Thanks David,

I see that install (CODE... is working.

But I am trying use the ENV var to set whether or not an ExternalProject_Add
BUILD_COMMAND
is called with "install" or not but when I run "make install" on the snippet
below I see a make error.

install(CODE "set( ENV{WEBSOCKETPP_INSTALL_TO_ARTIFACTS} \"install\" )" )

ExternalProject_Add(
    BUILD_COMMAND make -f Makefile $WEBSOCKETPP_INSTALL_TO_ARTIFACTS

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `$WEBSOCKETPP_INSTALL_TO_ARTIFACTS'.  Stop.

Is this possible to do this? I am thinking I don't have the double or single
quotes right for bash to do this?

I would hope to expect that the BUILD_COMMAND is executed as

make -f Makefile install

when "make install" is invoked on the command line.

Thanks,
Rob