What I am saying is that project("foo") should internally execute the
equivalent of set(foo_SOURCE_DIR "/path/to/source") rather than set(foo
"/path/to/source" CACHE STRING).  That way it would fail on every run if
you referenced a project source directory variable before you had done the
add_subdirectory() for that project.  Currently in that situation it fails
the first time you run cmake but works as expected on subsequent runs of
cmake, which I think is odd behaviour.