On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Nils Gladitz <nilsglad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01.05.2014 20:16, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>

>> If CMAKE_BINARY_DIR were not cached, yes. But I don't think not caching
>> that is being suggested. It's not clear to me why the *per-project* flavors
>> need to be cached?
>>

> If they were regular instead of cache variables they would have scopes.
> I guess this would break any project that currently referred to their sub-
> or sibling projects with those variables.

Ya;  promotion to global namespace via addition to cache is a good reason
to have them cached

But, it's not that you have a dynamic build structure that changes often?
 It's just that you're trying to reference a variable before it exists; and
there's ways around that like set a CMAKE_PASS_2 variable or something to
make sure that everything is done the next time... and it fails on a
first-run .. but then it doesn't fail, so it's hard to track down where the
error was?

maybe cmake --trace ?