On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 07:49:07 Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc via cmake-
developers wrote:
> I believe CMake is an invaluable tool, but it could do far better. 0/10
> CMake users I’ve met say they are “happy” CMake users. The learning curve
> is steep, and the skills gained are not reusable. CMake could gain even
> greater momentum (not by ditching, but) by offering alternate input
> languages with entities (classes, functions, macros, etc.) that feel
> natural in the given context.

Well, the cmake language is not really pretty, but in my experience it is
usually good enough. Having a somewhat better language like e.g. Lua may be a
good thing.
There is actually an advantage in not thaving a full-featured scripting
language: users are less tempted to turn the build scripts into actual
"programs" containing logic and doing a lot of stuff.
I have seen that happen with scons builds... as developer you had to
understand two programs: the actual software, and the build "program".

There were already experiments with Lua and also with Javascript for cmake,
but they didn't succeed so far.

Alex