Questions inline:

On 10/28/2015 3:35 PM, Custin, Jay (CSC Sw Middleware) wrote:

So the configuration/bootstrap script seems to blissfully get all the
way to the end and even displays the following:

CMake has bootstrapped.  Now run make.

Except when I looked… it had not created the Makefile.  I ran the same
basic process on one of my Linux systems and noticed that in addition to
NOT creating the Makefile… it also did not create the bin subdirectory.
I tried simply adding the –trace option on the bootstrap’s cmake command
(the last thing it does before posting the text above), but that didn’t
seem to reveal any clues.

I would love to simply comment out large swaths of the 3000+ lines of
cmake-3.3.2\Tests\CMakeLists.txt but at this point I don’t have
sufficient understanding of what impact doing this would have and fear
that without the understanding doing so would probably do little to help
me isolate where things appear to have gone awry.

What makes you think there is a problem in Tests/CMakeLists.txt?
Does anyone know where (specifically) I should investigate to determine
where the Makefile itself should get generated?

What files are generated in the build tree?

The toplevel makefile is created here:
void cmGlobalUnixMakefileGenerator3::WriteMainCMakefile()

But there are lots of other files that get created.

One thing you could try is to use the bootstrapped cmake to configure a more simple project. Something like:

project(foo)
add_library(foo foo.c)
foo.c can be an empty file.

Does the bootstrapped cmake work on that project?

What about what triggers the creation of the bin folder?
I would not worry about that yet.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman