Welcome, you've found the perfect place to find valuable information, support, understanding and kindness. It is important that you learn and your friend learn all you can about the disease. Feel free to ask the group "any" questions you like, no question is too small or too big..nor is there a dumb question...so ASK AWAY.  If you have just started this new relationship with this person, then she's experiencing several new developments in her life...1) YOU 2) CML. Just try to be as comforting and supportive as you can. CML is a chronic disease which means, it won't go away but it is treatable with Gleevec. Gleevec does have side effects but not everyone seems to have them, and some suffer more than others. Just make sure she has a qualified doctor who knows how to treat CML. Before making decisions such as the bone marrow transplant route, always get a second opinion and become informed about the procedure. It is a risky option and not for everyone. Educating yourself about CML will help you with the confusion part, as for feeling helpless, you can be a big help to her. I'm sure she has fears and frustrations herself. You both need to keep the faith, keep a positive attitude and be there for her when she needs someone to talk to or maybe a shoulder to cry on. When being told by a doctor that you have it, it can be a life altering, terrifying experience. My doctor was trying to comfort me when he saw me in such a panic, and he told me to be thankful I had the "good kind" of leukemia, and I thought to myself, how can it be a good kind but what he meant was, it was treatable with a drug called Gleevec. And  now if the Gleevec doesn't work, there are more new drugs to try to be released soon. So stay positive. Her life is forever changed now, but it doesn't mean it's over. I am a 2 year survivor, and while the first year and a half were rough, it gave me a new outlook on life,(and it will for your friend too) and I am feeling more like my old self now and enjoying every minute I am alive, even when I'm not feeling so good or in pain, I'm just glad to be alive still. Hope this helps and hope you will become active in the group with your questions.
Love, Peace, Hope & Prayers, Pat
--- In CML@yahoogroups.com, "wolfals" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all....
>
> I recently started seeing someone who has CML. I have begun reading
> about it as much as I can, but most of it is super techinical and I
> have trouble keeping pace with all the terms.
>
> I guess I joined this group because I'm looking for some advice on
> what I can do. She knows I'll be there for her in whatever way she
> needs, but I want to do more for her. I know I can't do everything,
> but I want to be supportive without being overbearing.
>
> I'm feeling a little confused and frustrated and helpless.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I wish everyone here a
> very happy New Year filled with love and happiness.

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)