Thanks Pat.

I should point out that this isn't a new development for her.  She
was diagnosed in 2000 or 1999.  The doctors told her she wouldn't
see 2006.  I'm not sure if she is taking Gleevec, I just know she
gets an injection once a month and it makes her feel pretty bad for
a couple of weeks. She has lost about 20 pounds in the last couple
of months and I'm pretty sure it's because of the medicine.  It
seems to be decreasing her appetite.

She means the world to me, and I would trade places with her if I
could.  What should I do?  Should I sit down with her and ask her
every question I have?  Would that be too much?  Sometimes I feel
she isn't telling me everything because she doesn't want me to
worry.  If she was in remission once, does that mean it's easier for
her to stay healthy?  And if she wasn't on any medication for a year
or so, but now she's back on treatment, what does that mean?

I know it's difficult to provide answers when you don' all the
information, but I need some advice.

Thanks for your response, I'm at a loss about what to do and how to
go about doing it......

--- In CML@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Welcome, you've found the perfect place to find valuable
information, support, understanding and kindness. It is important
that you learn and your friend learn all you can about the disease.
Feel free to ask the group "any" questions you like, no question is
too small or too big..nor is there a dumb question...so ASK AWAY.
If you have just started this new relationship with this person,
then she's experiencing several new developments in her life...1)
YOU 2) CML. Just try to be as comforting and supportive as you can.
CML is a chronic disease which means, it won't go away but it is
treatable with Gleevec. Gleevec does have side effects but not
everyone seems to have them, and some suffer more than others. Just
make sure she has a qualified doctor who knows how to treat CML.
Before making decisions such as the bone marrow transplant route,
always get a second opinion and become informed about the procedure.
It is a risky option and not for everyone. Educating yourself about
CML will help you with the confusion part, as for feeling helpless,
you can be a big help to her. I'm sure she has fears and
frustrations herself. You both need to keep the faith, keep a
positive attitude and be there for her when she needs someone to
talk to or maybe a shoulder to cry on. When being told by a doctor
that you have it, it can be a life altering, terrifying experience.
My doctor was trying to comfort me when he saw me in such a panic,
and he told me to be thankful I had the "good kind" of leukemia, and
I thought to myself, how can it be a good kind but what he meant
was, it was treatable with a drug called Gleevec. And  now if the
Gleevec doesn't work, there are more new drugs to try to be released
soon. So stay positive. Her life is forever changed now, but it
doesn't mean it's over. I am a 2 year survivor, and while the first
year and a half were rough, it gave me a new outlook on life,(and it
will for your friend too) and I am feeling more like my old self now
and enjoying every minute I am alive, even when I'm not feeling so
good or in pain, I'm just glad to be alive still. Hope this helps
and hope you will become active in the group with your questions.
> Love, Peace, Hope & Prayers, Pat
> --- In CML@yahoogroups.com, "wolfals" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all....
> >
> > I recently started seeing someone who has CML.  I have begun
reading
> > about it as much as I can, but most of it is super techinical
and I
> > have trouble keeping pace with all the terms.
> >
> > I guess I joined this group because I'm looking for some advice
on
> > what I can do.  She knows I'll be there for her in whatever way
she
> > needs, but I want to do more for her.  I know I can't do
everything,
> > but I want to be supportive without being overbearing.
> >
> > I'm feeling a little confused and frustrated and helpless.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I wish everyone
here a
> > very happy New Year filled with love and happiness.

AIDS has a woman's face.  Help women to protect themselves.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/VHwV5B/TREMAA/xGEGAA/8zSolB/TM

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at
http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)
Change To No Mail/Web: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CML Group Web Site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CML