Hi David,
I was diagnosed Sept05 with CML - age 36 - and put into clinical
trial (400vs 800mg) in Melb, Australia immediately.

This looks like the same trial you are thinking about taking part
in. How they chose what mg I was given was random and done via
computer. To be honest, I was really relieved to be randomised at
400mg as I was concerned about potential side effects of 800mg. I
think perhaps my decision would have been different if I had been
randomised at 800mg and not reacted well to it. I was always given
the choice by the team, of not being part of the trial and I still
have that choice which is a good thing. I have reacted well to 400mg
(ie WBC down from 96,000 at dx to 8000 in three months) and would
not be prepared to go to the higher dose. While I am on 400 mg I am
happy for my results to be used in a trial.

 Personally, I didn't have any particular issue with being part of
the trial. I saw the reason I had the opportunity to take glivec was
because people were part of a trial in the past. My family, however,
were not at all happy with my decision so that caused a bit of
tension for awhile.

Steph

--- In CML@yahoogroups.com, "da06761" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is David, I have been a silent member for 4 years now and
> start I want to thank everyone for their posts. They have helped
me
> in a large way.
>
> My history is as follows:
>
> Name: Dave Blackier
> dx age: 28
> dx: Dec 17th, 2001
> Gleevec: Since January 2002
> Current Dose: 400mg
>
> I started Gleevec at 600mg which caused my white blood cell count
> drop. I was reduced to 300mg and gradually increase until I
reached
> 600mg again. Once at 600mg I quickly achieved CCR followed by MMR.
> was dropped to 400mg and have been there for 1.5 years now.
>

> I have been asked to take part in a Novartis clinical trial where
> they will evaluating the effects of increasing the Gleevec dosage
> 800mg on individuals that are currently having a molecular
response
> at 400mg. The purpose of the trial is to understand whether
> increasing Gleevec dosage has a positive effect on people who have
> had little luck at 400mg. I want to help, but where I have been
> extremely sensitive to Gleevec past and I'm afraid of the side
> effects of 800mg. I discussed this with my Doctor and he approved
of
> my participation. Where my Doctor is the principal investigator,
> would welcome everyone's feedback or opinions!
>
> Sorry for the length of the post.
>

> Cheers!
> Dave

AIDS has a woman's face.  Help women to protect themselves.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/VHwV5B/TREMAA/xGEGAA/8zSolB/TM

New! Sign up for local CML support group meetings in your local community at
http://cml.meetup.com

Apply for Commercial Real Estate loans online and submit your deal to dozens of
hungry lenders in just minutes. Loan programs for all types of business and
commercial real estate. Apply anytime at http://realestatezoo.com

CML (Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Support List)
Change To No Mail/Web: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Change To Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
List Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CML Group Web Site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CML