Hello Steve,

Sorry your wife Vanessa has become a member of our club, but on the
other hand there are quite a few new drugs out there to help us all.

It was interesting that you mentioned that your wife was first put on
Interferon, and then switched to Gleevec.  The exciting thing is that
IFN is the only drug available at this time that could potentially
stimulate an immune response, however, it is usually not well
tolerated.  Interferon was the only drug available before Gleevec and
it was administered in very high toxic doses which made most patients
quite sick.  However, there is new work going on with low dose
interferon and some thought of cycling Interferon (IFN) with Gleevec.
>From what we know at this stage of the game, Gleevec does not "cure"
CML, that means we will have to take it for the rest of our lives - if
we are lucky.  The down side is that some people do develop side
effects either initially, or after some time on the drug.  Some of the
side effects are easier to deal with then others.  I would guess in
most cases the side effects are probably worst than we allow ourselves
to acknowledge only because we are able to convince ourselves that it
is better than the alternative (i.e. being really sick on other drugs,
going through a transplant, etc.) .  So, when it comes to side effects
we have to take many things into consideration, other than just the
physical effects.  For so many people, Gleevec has "bought" us
important time.  Since Gleevec was launched there is now at least one
new drug on the market, Sprycel - from Bristol Myers Squibb, that
provides patients in the US with an alternative choice.  But there are
at least 3 other drugs in clinical trial - AMN107- Tasingna (Novartis),
SKI 606 (Wyeth) and another new drug, I think from Chemgenex for MDS
and CML - Decitabine.

I am not a big fan of high dose Gleevec personally, especially now with
other options for patients to try.  The reason being is that the latest
studies from the top hematology conferences show that the higher doses
really do not offer a statistically significant benefit.  We have heard
that many patients notice a decrease in their quality of life on the
higher doses.  So, my feeling is that if there is some way to feel less
miserable without compromising your health too much (everything is a
trade off, it just depends what you want to trade) then go on the
standard dose of 400mg and watch very closely what happens.  I am just
guessing that after a few weeks of IFN and your wifes WBC's have
declined dramatically, than she seems to be a good responder.  So the
higher dose is kind of like using an entire can of raid on one small
fly - a bit of overkill.  To much drugs in your system effects your
other organs (i.e. liver, kidneys, etc), so since we are going to be on
one drug or another for some time, why compromise ourselves so early in
the game when it might not be necessary?  It isso important to approach
this strategically, but it is so hard to do in the beginning because
you are so new to this.  You do not even know what you do not know at
this point.  Additionally, we will all be feeding you information as
your doctor will and, well I remember thinking back to close to 6 years
ago when I was dxed, it can be a bit overwhelming.

For the record, here is what I chose to do (bear in mind, I have over
16 years in the health care field in marketing and sales, so I had some
knowledge on how the system works - and don't kid yourself, it is a
system, regardless of where you are).  I chose to go on IFN first even
though Gleevec was available and I could have opted for that.  I went
with IFN specifically for its ability to generate an immune response,
kind of like teaching my body to FISH (more about this later). This is
a very personal decision, and for me it just felt like a very proactive
thing to do.  Of course, I made this decision with much more confidence
as there was Gleevec to "fall back on" if IFN didn't work for me.  But
IFN did, and I enjoyed a wonderful quality of life (unlike many of my
fellow CMLers) on very low dose IFN.  I even achieved a PCRU
(Polymerase chain reaction undetectable).  However, I was "smitten" by
the wave of Gleevec and switched over.  Although I never admitted this
publicly, my quality of life was horrible and greatly deteriorated on
Gleevec.  Last summer, we saw classic signs of potential kidney
failure.  My Hemoglobin was always "rock bottom" and although I am a
very active individual, hiking, SCUBA diving, kayaking (a recent new
thing) I felt like I was doing this with about 100 pounds of lead
strapped to my body.  Peripheral edema was the worst, regardless of how
much I dieted or what kind of diuretics I took, I could not shed the
extrat 15 pounds of "water weigjht" further compounding my kdiney
problems.  It has been a bit of a nightmare for me.  This is the first
time I am talking about this publicly.

So, If I was newly diagnosed, what would I do?  I would like to first
say something aobut yout wifes case.  You said she was dxed with WBS in
250,000.  I was dxed in the 145,000 range (November 2000).  I think
starting on the IFN was a pretty good and interesting decision.  Let me
know how she tolerated it, and what dose she was on.  Who is her Doctor
and where is she being treated?  Maybe the 600 MG of IM is  part of the
strategy to further attack the BCR ABL oncoprotein, and it seems that
the IFN gave her a good head start.  From what I have read, the 600mg
is much better tolerated than the 800mg.  So, my fingers are crossed
that this will work out for your wife.  She needs to know the results
of her BMB/BMA and her baseline FISH and PCR.  It is very likely that
her FISH (Flourescent in situ hybridization - measures the percentage
of philadelphia chromosomes - translocation between chromosomes 9 and
22, which forms the new philadelphia chromosome) is probably 100%.
Most of us are 100% at DX (Diagnosis).  the PCR (polymerase chain
reaction) measures the oncoprotein - BCR ABL.  BCR stands for Break
point cluster region, and ABL stands for abelson (named after the
scientist who discovered it).  These are the "regions" on the
chromosomes.  Gleevec works to inhibit this oncoprotein by binding to
the site on the oncoprotein where ATP would normally bind.  ATP is like
an "energy pack" that keeps the cell "turned on" and disrupts it from
going through the normal process of cell death (Apoptosis), which is
why the philadelphia chromosomes proliferate out of control as throws
the rest of the cells in the marrow out of whack.  Consequently, other
componenets in our marrow start to overproduce (actually they do not
die off as in anormal cycle).  Our bone marrow becomes overun with too
many cells - too much of a good thing is never good, and we get into
trouble.

In the beginning of treatment for CML we are looking to regain
hematological remission.  That means that our WBC's, Basophiles,
Eosiniophiles, platelets, Hgb etc all return back to their normal
level.  Go to www.cmlsociety.org in the discussion area and look at the
information from the CBMTG meeting which will give you the timelines
when certain milestones should be reached according to the Canadian
consensus.  It is pretty much the agreed timeline for the rest of the
world.  After hematological response is achieve the next step is
achieving "Zero" FISH, which essentially means no more philadelphia
chromosome.  This shows us that Gleevec (or IM as we like to refer to
it) is working it's magic.  The next step, or something that can
actually be measured simultaneously is the reduction of the BCR ABL
oncoprotein - the PCR test.  It is ideal to achieve at least a 3 log
reduction in 12 to 18 months.  An therein lies the reason that some
people go for the higher doses.  There was some thought that the faster
you achieve a 3 log reduction the "safer" it is for you.  However, data
from the recent ASCO (American Society of Clinical Oncolog) conference
shows that even over time, slower responders on 400 mg eventually get
to a 3 log reduction.  Very rarely, patients do not respond and need
higher doses or switch to one of the newer drugs altogether.  Some
patienst, roughly 10% achieve PCRU, which is usually greater than a 4
log reduction.  Most CML experts will tell you that at a 3 log
reduction or better, the chances of living a long life with this
disease, improves significantly.

All this to say that it was good that your wife got to try IFN first
and switch to IM afterwards - kudos to your wifes doctor for trying
this approach.  From what I know, she should tolerate the 600mg fairly
well.  I would say to you that I noticed an improved quality of life on
IM (albeit it slightly- but any improvement helped) when I adopted a
low carb diet, I have no clue why that is, but it does seem to help
with the edema.  As much as your wife might feel tired, you must
encourage her to do some form of daily exercise, it is essential, even
if it is a few minutes of rapid walking gradually building up to longer
durations.  If I do not exercise, I feel lousy.  The least you
exercise, the least you want to exercise, the more miserable you feel,
it is a vicious circle.

How good of you to be so supportive of your wife. There is so much to
learn and think about.  I was 43 at the time I was dxed close to 6
years ago.  Just this past june I was quite happy to watch my daughter
(who's name is Vanessa by the way) graduate from University.  When you
consider that at the time of my dx the usual prognosis was 3 to 5
years, I could have missed this milestone in my daughters life.  I
certainly do not want to jinx myself, but I continue to contribute into
my pension plan - just in case...

Sorry this was so long, but I hope some of it helped.  The bottom line
is that you need to learn as much as you  can so that you can be
proactively engaged in the management of the disease and understand
that certain strategy can be developed for long term management - which
we hope isn't too long term, as many brilliant scientist are hard at
work looking for a cure for this horrible disease.  We can only give
you suggestions and tell you what worked for us.  As much as we are
similar, we are all quite different and unique actually.  The best
thing to do is to stay informed of all the options (thankfully we have
so many) and try the combination that works best for the patient.

Cheers and keep us posted.

Cheryl-Anne