Cheryl,
My son is taking imatinib and green tea capsules and is doing very well.
Have you seen the article below? Could you please give us your comments
about this article?

 * **
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023
* *Catechin, green tea component, causes caspase-independent necrosis-like
cell death in chronic myelogenous leukemia **Authors: *Iwasaki, Reo; Ito,
Kinji1<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_1>;
Ishida,
Takaomi2<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_2>;
Hamanoue,
Makoto3<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_3>;
Adachi,
Souichi4<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_4>;
Watanabe,
Toshiki2<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_2>;
Sato,
Yuko5<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas/2009/00000100/00000002/art00023#aff_5>
*Source:* Cancer
Science<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/cas;jsessionid=r8wt4h2qn1iq.victoria>,
Volume 100, Number 2, February 2009 , pp. 349-356(8)
*Publisher: *Blackwell
Publishing<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bp;jsessionid=r8wt4h2qn1iq.victoria>
*Abstract:*

Management strategies of chronic phase chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
have been revolutionized due to the discovery of a selective tyrosine kinase
inhibitor, imatinib (Gleevec, STI571), which is substantially improving
median survival. However, emergence of imatinib-resistance has put up a
serious problem that requires novel treatment methods. Catechins,
polyphenolic compounds in green tea, are gathering much attention due to
their potential antitumor effects. So far (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate
(EGCG), the most abundant component of catechin, has been shown to cause
typical apoptosis in several tumor cell lines in most cases through
activation of caspases. In this study, we showed that EGCG predominantly
caused necrosis-like cell death via a caspase-independent mechanism in CML
cells, K562 and C2F8, whereas imatinib induced the typical apoptotic cell
death. Moreover, this caspase-independent cell death partially mediated the
release of apoptosis-inducing factor, AIF, and serine protease, HtrA2/Omi,
from the mitochondria to cytosol. In addition, EGCG enhanced the
imatinib-induced cell death (*P <* 0.01) resulting in additive cell death in
K562 cells and EGCG alone, effectively reduced the viability of
imatinib-resistant K562 cells (*P <* 0.01). Catechin is a possible candidate
for an antitumor agent that causes cell death in CML cells via a
caspase-independent mechanism. (*Cancer Sci* 2009; 100: 349-356)

--
Ricardo