The new health care bill does NOT include the "End of Life" provision so
many people fear. There is NO provision for planned euthanasia or refusal of
services.   What was provided for (although after all that kerfuffle in the
media and people thinking they were going to be refused service because they
were too old or sick or something, that proviso was removed from the bill)
was the possibility, on a VOLUNTARY basis, for a patient and doctor to
discuss the patient's desire for how he or she wanted to be treated as death
neared. This was the same as what is known as A Living Will or an Advance
Directive in which a patient says what he/she wants or does not want when in
extremis: a DNR, use of a ventilator, palliative care only or the entire
panoply of available medical processes to keep one alive no matter what.  In
any case, each person SHOULD have this conversation with his doctor
and SHOULD have an advance directive in his medical files.  The ONLY
THING that part of the health care bill provided was that the doctor would
be paid for taking time to sit down and have a serious conversation with the
patient.  Until then, it was a catch-as-catch-can situation, and has
reverted to that ever since the rumor was deliberately spread that there was
something sinister about it.
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:21 AM,
<cmlhope+nore...@googlegroups.com<cmlhope%2bnore...@googlegroups.com>