Hi Cammie from MA, I was dx Oct 2003. I'm still on 400mg of Gleevic and take
Protonox for the GI problems. My counts have wavered up and down over the last
9 years. My last visit at Dana Farber my onc, Dr. Soiffer told me that my
counts were up still. He's waiting for my latest results to come back to see if
we need to make changes. I hope not. My side effects have been pretty
consistent-weight gain, bone pain, breathing problems, and edema in my left
leg. I did have a DVT//PE in 2006 that totally ruined that year. I had to
retire from my very physical job in 2008 and was very depressed.
I decided to do something with my life, returned to community college and
graduated with high honors. My illness has been a blessing in disguise. By
having CML and my former career, along with my life experience, made for
awesome essays. I received a full scholarship to get my bachelors and started
this past September. I love school, however this fall all I have been is sick.
Colds, coughs, aches, pains-you name it, I've been dealing with it. It's like
being back in kindergarten where you catch everything anyone else has. I've
taken to wearing a mask when I'm cooped up with even slightly ill people.
All in all, these past 9 years have been a blessing. I now have a one-month old
grand daughter who is the absolute light of my life. I intend to live a long
and fruitful life and enjoy every moment I have been given.

Cammie
Dx 2003
Gleevic 400mg