       From: 'educatorsusan' via CMLHope <cmlhope@googlegroups.com>
 To: cmlhope@googlegroups.com
 Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 9:45 AM
 Subject: [CMLHope] Re: Just checking in

I am not used to this new google format.  So, I am going to answer a few things.

First of all, if you are getting transfusions (more than 10) you need to
receive Desferal which is an iron chelator.  If you do not, your iron counts
were be sky high.  I know this from personal experience.  My ferritin level is
finally in the normal range after 10 years as of this past Wednesday!!!  YEAH!!
 There is a  newer chelator but Oregon (Dr. Druker and his own hematologist)
decided to leave me alone because I had a reaction to the Desferal...I have a
reaction to everything it seems.  Desferal took the zinc out of my body and
well and I could not bend my hands, etc. and was in some amount of pain.

No matter how much iron rich foods you eat, this will not help you and it will
not hurt you.  The type of hemoglobin you are not manufacturing DOES NOT react
to iron rich foods...another myth that Dr. Druker and my own hematologist
locally dispelled.  I do not understand the total logic but they are different
animals in the system.

Congratulations, Marty, on finally receiving a kidney transplant soon!!!

In Marty's honor, 18's to everyone!

Hope my two cents worth is useful!

I wanted to post to everyone and am not sure I did.

I usually have a postscript after my name giving you my LONG history on Gleevec
bu cannot find it right now.  If you search my name on this "blog", you'll find
it...I just do not know how to use this "new" google yet...

Hugs,
Susan Rosenthal
Miami, Florida