Hi all,

First of all I would like to state that I believe that StarOffice (or
OpenOffice) is a good productivity package.

There are a few things that have been said here that I would like to
comment.

Lionel wrote:

>I support StarOffice because I am a great believer in open
>standards.

What is "Standard" about StartOffice? Probably you meant Open Software
wich is different.

>Now, MS says that their next Office iteration will be XML
>based, however, seeing how they "proprietized" open standards like
>JavaScript (Jscript), I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't understand the foundation for this accusation against Microsoft.

Jon Eaves wrote:

>If they make the entire document format transparent then the cost of
>shifting from MS-Word to StarOffice, Corel, <whatever> is essentially
zero.

No No No. The cost of shifting in not concerned with the cost of
translated the Data Formats (Word 2 Anything). Why? Because word can
save files in RTF format straightforwardly. Furthermore, StarOffice
supports the Word format.

IMO Microsoft will publish the DTD. Why? Simply if they don't it is
easier to crack it then anything else if it is in XML format. So why
conceal what can be most probably cracked (unconcealed)? But I believe
also that they will not do it right from the start.

Just of note:

Co-Inventor of XML Says Office 11 is "A Huge Step Forward for Microsoft"

http://www.sys-con.com/xml/articlenews.cfm?id=513

Everything that is said in this article can in favor of MS Office can be
said in favor of StarOffice.

Best regards,

Nuno Lopes
Independent Consultant