maybe you can enlighten me as to your own distinction between 'portal' and 'portal
capability' ?
Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Chung [mailto:rex@;rexchung.com]
Sent: 01 November 2002 10:35
To: Steve Williams
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [cms-list] Vignette to Acquire Epicentric

> Maybe you could answer the question;
> > What are the main Different between CMS and Portal???
> with
> "Time" - since it is likely that most CMS's will continue to allude to
> offering portal capability and most Portal's will also refer to their
> ability to offer content management. Given a couple of years the
answer to
> the question may well be simply "core competence or focus".
>
> Regards
> Steve

I think you are confusing yourself with the terms CMS and portal again
here.

> I would love to know where it written down what a CMS can and cant
> be ?

CMS is the part of the system that deals of content management.
Portal is the part of the system that deals with the CMS's "portal
capability"

Portal should not be seen as a part of the CMS. Portal and CMS can be
part of a bigger system. That bigger system is often confused with the
term 'CMS'.

Rex.

--
http://cms-list.org/