Well said Stewart. But enterprise customers are looking for further end
to end solutions due to the following reasons:

1) Out of the box realizable business benefits within their core
processes;
2) Less custom development when automating processes within their
business scope;
3) Easier maintenance;

Within this scope except from a few industries (except new media, and
publishing industry) customers and IT managers are realizing that CMS
don't help that much for the price they pay (misguided cost
effectiveness).

Within the Portal industry pretty much the same (more or less) thing is
happening. The 10/80 rule promoted by Portal vendors is not what most
customers are looking for now. They want deeper integration and more
value added features while minimizing custom development and maintenance
costs.

It's not surprising that both Plumtree and Vignette acquired
complementary platforms for their products to further extend user
experience on end solutions (collaboration Vs automated content
management) and generic business applicability in both #1 and #2 areas
(huge battle). But this would not make much of a difference IMO if it
was not completed with a holistic view of content and CM and Access as
IT Managers are realizing concerning business process automation beyond
generic Content Management and Portal applicability.

"Vignette, which to date has focused on the content-management niche, is
readying a product strategy that would result in new
document-management, E-learning, E-marketing, collaboration, and portal
applications in the next 12 months, CEO Tom Hogan says."

According to Information week:

Expansion Beyond Content Management For Vignette
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20021022S0003

The juice of Plumtree strategy seams to be pretty much the same.

This is a thing that I've been advocating way over from a year now In
this list. In a previous email from mine regarding Consolidation of CMS,
KM focusing on the problems of the commercial CMS market and I argued
the need for a renewed strategy.

>I don't care less if something that works is KM or CM but I do care if
>it does not work (as cost effective) regarding a specific business
context. >The details for me is actually the development of modules like
CM4Training, >CM4SupportCenters, CM4HelpDesk over CM from the point of
view of marketing >and sales. But note that this will happen for sure if
CMS vendors want to >fight against Open Source contenders and propose
new valued added solutions >leveraging on existing investments
(customers). This will be the next >generation CMS vendor.

There are lot's of things left to be said regarding these moves from the
point of view of business and the impact on the market landscape (both
Open Source and Commercial). But one can figure out the rest I believe.

Best regards,

Nuno Lopes
Independent Consultant

PS: Think big, act local.