"Nuno Lopes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <snip, building .NET/C# CMS/Protal, embryonic,
>  maybe go open source>
>
> The question is how to fund that development?
>
> <snip, services not an option in early development>

Very big question, and I've thought about this a
lot.  At the risk of being cained in public by
some groups, I'll proffer my humble thoughts.

An overly simplified argument for/against open
source (to keep things brief and on topic), is:

FOR R&D GOING OPEN SOURCE:
  (1) Cheap labor.
AGAINST R&D GOING OPEN SOURCE:
  (1) Give up coordination and control.
  (2) Complex business model.

Yes, I know this is WAY too simple to capture
what's going on.  I'm generally in favor of open
source, but it has pragmatic issues when it comes
to "real life".  That's why most open source projects
are merely copies of successful commercial projects
(generally less innovation than by private companies),
and lots of stale open source efforts exist.  I
say this as I buy yet another kick-butt Linux box
(mine died yesterday, and I'm grieving in a big way).

Neither one helps you in early stages, like you
are now.  It's easy to compromise what you're really
trying to do when diluting the concept among an
open source community, unless your "partners" are all
of the same mind (it's always an issue of
misunderstandings, or inaccurate assumptions of
directions).  Humans are just as hard to work with
in the open source world as the commercial world
(difficulty managing the developmental process),
but IMHO, you have less to offer them in open source
than the commercial world does.  (And, be wary, as
I've seen many partnerships end in bloodshed and
divorce.)  Most of all, STAY AWAY from
desperation-based decisions.

In general, I believe it's only specialized industries
that can "get away" with an all-services revenue
model.  You can do it, but it's for special kinds
of people (ya gotta be good), and there's much less
room for error.

When it comes down to it, you're really just stuck
with private funding (you or others donating time
because they believe, or vulture capital with the
promise of future commercial profits).  It's not good
news, I'm afraid.

But, you can clearly be successful with open source
or some hybrid model.  Whether commercial or open
source, until the project is established, regular
development rules apply.  First, IMHO, you need a
strong visionary (zealot?) that can be consistent and
stay-the-course.

One of the better (sustainable) models I've seen
relating to your question is Bitkeeper:

http://www.bitkeeper.com/Sales.Licensing.Overview.html

...where they dance the line between open source
and private/commercial (there are also a number
of interviews with them on the web discussing their
thoughts on the open source business model, and I
think they raise valid points).

Also, there's the Qt type business model, which is
clearly successful (regardless of your political
stance as to their decisions).  I'd sum it up as,
"be high quality (the best?), give away something,
but the best stuff costs money".

(We could go for hours on this one with religeon,
philosophy, and pragmatics; but, I'd better stop
as my posts are usually too long.)

--charley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]