I'm seeing some vendor driven confusion in the market place.  We have a profusion of
Learning Management System suppliers and now Learning Content Management Systems
(following SCORM standards see http://www.adlnet.org) out in the market place. My
perspective on this is (and I don't call myself an expert)

i)      Functionality of LMS's (online learning usage and performance tracking,
training management etc.)  is necessary in many medium to large organisations.
ii)     CMS's (imperative for any organisation with an internal or external web
strategy)
iii)    LCMS's at one level seem to be doing i)   and doing part of ii) (mainly
focusing on 'structured/planned learning')

Seems to me that we are missing the point somehow (or maybe I am?)   Surely what we
need is:

i)    Full blown corporate content management capabilities that allows for a variety
of user interface development tools with
ii)   Tracking and usage functionality and
iii)   Interoperability with other corporate systems (e.g. HR Management)

This can happen now with a lot of difficulty but what typically happens is

i)    LMS 'content' is thought of as a different animal and as such gets seperated
from the wider accessibility/content management strategy.
ii)   LMS implementers and learning and development folk continue to live in the
'online training' paradigm rather than really looking at how the web can radically
bring performance improvement.

Surely from the users perspective they are one and the same.

Anybody got any ideas/thoughts/experience with this?

LOVE to hear thoughts...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---