Michael

What you say is essentially right, but is certainly on the basis of an
existing training paradigm that we seem to not be able to move ourselves
away from.

The paradigm is one where we are trying to replace training with web based
content (what most people seem to call 'e-Learning')  where interactivity is
to engage people and try to make sure that they learn and complete the
modules.  But lets face it, any trainer worth his salt is a lot more
interactive and probably more engaging than a piece of web based content.
e-Learning in this paradigm continues to exist as a one-off training event
very often detached from the realities of peoples real needs.

The web brings us more easily to a different paradigm where learning is a
continuous process and where by people learn by a variety of means,
certainly not only by going to a classroom or taking a web based online
learning module but in a variety of ways.  Collaborating with colleagues
(across geographic or time boundaries), accessing experiences and existing
information produced and available somewhere (on the corporate intranet..?)
or accessing a well structured knowledge base. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Information, knowledge and learning at peoples fingertips, when and where it
is needed.  Let people choose what they want and what is appropriate to
their needs.

The need to have structured 'training', whether face to face or via
eLearning will still be there.  There are complience and plenty of other
reasons to try to make sure that folk have the required training. I would
suggest that this is changing as well.

My contention is that the current positioning of the LCMS/LMS and CMS offers
in the market place is missing part of the plot.

Regards.