Is there any way to coerce either the CMS or COMMAND stage to write
output as it is received rather that waiting for the executed command to
end before passing any of its output to  the next stage? We have need to
process a huge amount of output from a single command. This command
allows for output either to the console or the virtual printer, so we
can catch the output to the console in a pipe. Buffering it in memory is
a huge waste of time, that is, if we can define a machine that is large
enough for the file, which could be several million 132-byte records. It
would be much better is we could handle each record as it is produced by
the command. That way, the machine size would be predictable and the
pipe would end almost in unison with the end of the command. The output
to the printer is even worse. It doubles the number of records by adding
a blank record after each record that contains data. This means that the
print file has twice as many records as does a console file showing the
same data. Alas, the program, which is vendor supplied, does not use
carriage control to double space the output.
Regards,
Richard Schuh