Rob van der Heij wrote:
> I went for a slightly different solution, but this is not pretty...
>    | x:take 1
>    | dup 3 | elastic | s:synch | join 3 / /
>    | i:fanin

The only ugly thing I see is the slop of ELASTIC, and that's easily
eliminated since you know you have to buffer each header record
separately on input, and JOIN will buffer it all the same on output:

 \ *: | pad 18 | chop 18
 | h1: take 1
 | copy | dup 3 | s: synch | join 3 / / | i:fanin | *:
 \ h1: \ h2: take 1 | copy | dup 3 | s: | join 3 / / | i:
       \ h2: | top: take 4         | s: | join 3 / / | i:
             \ top:                     | join 3 / / | i:

Much tidier than my JUXTAPOSE solution, I think.

¬R