On Dec 6, 2010, at 09:47, Schuh, Richard wrote:

> If you want the last block to be padded with binary 0s, make that
>
>     ... | Fblock 100 00 | ...

I rarely want the last block to be padded.  I consider this a
practice that conceals failures that should be discovered as
early as possible.  I shudder that some IBM VM pages recommend
"... | fblock 80 xx | ..."

A Horrid Example:

    http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/

- Click on the package's v,
- Instruct your browser to save the file to disk
- Upload the file to VM in BINARY
- Run the file through this pipeline (where 'fn' is the name
  of the file you uploaded):

    PIPE < fn VMARC A | fblock 80 00 | > fn VMARC A F 80

... if any padding occurs, it indicates a failure in the
"save" or the "upload" operation.  Padding is unlikely to
repair it.

-- gil