Long ago (before Pipes) we had a need to determine if a LISTING filetype used
ANSI or MC control characters, and wrote a CHECKCC MODULE.
Early comments on the code contained:

EYEBALL  DC    CL8'CHECKCC',CL8'&SYSDATE',CL8'&SYSTIME',C'V1R1.0'       C
*********************************************************************** C
*                                                                     * C
*  CHECKCC reads the first 100 lines of the specified file looking    * C
*  for the Carriage Control type.  Valid types are NONE, ANSI and     * C
*  CODE (Machine Control Characters).                                 * C
*                                                                     * C
*  This module should be generated to run in the transient area.      * C
*  E.G. LOAD CHECKCC ( CLEAR ORIGIN TRANS                             * C
*       GENMOD CHECKCC                                                * C
*                                                                     * C
*  Return codes:                                                      * C
*          0 - No CC                                                  * C
*          4 - ANSI only                                              * C
*          8 - CODE only                                              * C
*         12 - ANSI and CODE, but more ANSI                           * C
*         16 - ANSI and CODE, but more CODE                           * C
*         20 - FSREAD error (perhaps file not found).                 * C

Nowadays, Pipes might be easier.  But just ask of you want the old, unsupported
CHECKCC ASSEMBLE file.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.