On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 02:21:02AM -0400, Rob van der Heij wrote:

> For the record and for the curious plumbers; the problem that I have with
> it is that a separator at the end of the record is optionally removed,
> which causes surprises for fields relative to the end (e.g. af -1).
> There may have been too much water through the pipe to fix that now.

UNIX utilities struggle with such behavior.  For some:
o If the delimiter is a blank:
  - Multiple blanks are equivalent to a single blank.
  - A trailing blank is ignored.
o If the delimiter is (e.g.) a comma, multiple delimiters
  and trailing delimiters indicate empty fields.

Rexx's CALL instruction provides no way to indicate a null
last argument.

In HLASM, using a comma to separate the comment field can
indicate two null arguments to a macro.

-- gil