On Wednesday, 05/03/2017 at 03:47 GMT, Paul Gilmartin (π)
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:
> Rexx's CALL instruction provides no way to indicate a null
> last argument.

CALL XYZ "fun", , "flags", ""
XYZ: ARG p1, p2, p3, p4

will provide a null string (length 0) to to both "p2" and "p4" the
routine.  You can get away without the trailing "" but only if the next
line is empty.  (Or...."How to make debug more challenging!")

I have pretty much abandoned CALL in CMS in favor of function calls with
null return values.  The REXX interface to CMS (REXEXT macro) suppresses
any null command, so I can get more creative in the way I call functions
without resorting to syntax crutches like the ones above.  It ensures that
there is never ambiguity in the purpose of a trailing comma.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323