Alan, aren't you on a least 6.4?

FILEDESCRIPTOR should be there; in fact is has been in DMSPIPE ever
since OpenExtensions went in, which is when we were young and handsome.
But like so much else it was no doubt deemed too difficult to document
other than in PIPE AHELP and later in the Author's edition.

As I have no access to a 6.4 system I have to defer to Rob, but he and
Lizet have taken some days off.

Try

pipe literal resolve filedescriptor | pipcmd
Ready(65557160); T=0.01/0.01 08:20:58

As far as PIPE AHELP is concerned: in z/VM 6.3, the only function that
is unsupported is what is not shipped, which means anything marked by
exclamation point or inverted exclamation point in ahelp or the Author's
edition.  Anything earlier (i.e., 1.1.10 and earlier) is fully supported
regardless of the way it is documented.  Essentially, if it is there it
is supported.