On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 at 00:47, Glenn Knickerbocker <n...@bestweb.net> wrote:

> On 2019-08-22 1:48 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> > The general and correct wish should be for an escape character to protect
> > any character, even itself, from any special meaning, even as '"' does in
> > a CP LINEDIT environment.

When we tell people what they should wish for, there's no end to our
imagination...

This isn't grep. We have (self) escape for the program text, but if you
want to do pattern matching, the closest we get is PATTERN.

A few years ago I actually did a GREP stage supporting the entire regular
expression stuff. It's not very fast, as expect. But within hours it turned
out the person asking for this actually meant to have SED instead. Maybe
one day.

Sir Rob the Plumber