On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 14:38, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Stated more clearly, when APPEND is specified, only the appended elements
> of the array are written to the output stream.

A lot of the device drivers copy the input records to the output as a
courtesy when the function performed isn't meant to produce output by
processing the input records. I think you'd be less surprised by that
behavior in a pipeline like this:
  PIPE cp query time | >> status logging a | cons

I wouldn't be surprised if that idiom goes back to the days before
multi-stream pipelines. These days you just do a FANOUT and have it the way
you need.

Rob