From: CMSTSO Pipelines Discussion List <CMS-PIPELINES@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf
Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 2:56 AM
To: CMS-PIPELINES@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [CMS-PIPELINES] PIPE MEMBERS Anomaly ???

On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 21:17, Lionel Dyck <lbd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all - RTFM does help doesn't it.  I didn't expect it when
> reading only a single member however I have coded around it so all is good.

Yes, that's why it says the null record is written after each member, rather
than between members. It makes many multi-stream pipelines simpler this way.
There are a few pipeline stages that will discard the null records, including
some device drivers. The popular idiom to drop them deliberately is a LOCATE
stage without any arguments.
If MEMBERS were designed 40 years later, it probably would only have taken the
member names from an input stream, so the consumption of the input record
indicates when the selected member has been completely written to the output
stream.

> Someday before I retire, or pass on, I hope to see PIPES integrated
> with z/OS REXX so that it is pervasive across the z/OS ecosystem.

I've heard that hope before...

Rob